Monday, November 17, 2008

Thing 5

I just completed the section on Web 2.0 and it's effects on the future of education. Honestly, I don't really understand how it's used and I'm sure when I get with my "group mates" we will discuss it and I may then have a better understanding. However, when I read, A Day in the Life..., I was not impressed. I think technology, like anything else, has it's pros and cons. It seems like a sterile environment where people are communicating via computers and sharing ideas, but not enhancing, creating, developing life skills. I'd like to see more trade schools, where people learn practical and useful skills. In that sense, I can see how sharing information over the web would be useful. I think it's nice that people can reach out across the universe, but I'd also like to see people reach out to each other outside their doors. Maybe I'm just not understanding all of this. But, when we get to that place where everything is done on computer only and no verbal and visual communication is taking place, I will probably not be teaching anymore. So, enlighten me, please!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that concern over the loss of human interaction is very valid. I think the whole point is teaching cooperative learning, but it takes a certain comfort level and working with the various tools on the web. I am experimenting with Google Docs right now, and as I set up a doc to use in the classroom I have to be conscious of building the human interaction aspect into my lesson plans so that the students learn not only to use technology but to use it in ways that enhance their experience.

Koziol's Corner said...

I agree with you that human communication is dwindling. Parents and teachers are going to have ensure that this doesn't happen. I do feel that web 2.0 is a benefit. People can access information any time of day no matter where you are.

Chris said...

I think Steve H. pointed out that teachers are going to always be needed as students still need direction and staying on task. It is going to be a long time before every parents is hooked up to the web and cooperating with the schools. I'm wondering how is the technology going to work when the students can't read or write. Just look at some of the MEAP or MME scores. I like the idea of people being the prosumers than just consumers of what is on the Web.

Kara said...

I can understand your concern about people communicating online and not developing life skills. I worry that students will totally lose thier abilty to listen :). They are into sitting behind a computer or cell phone texting rather than listening and developing those important skills. But I do love the world online and hope that I am able to teach students how to properly use it.