Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Thing 19

WOW! I had no idea there were so many podcasts on the web, or out in the cloud. I listened to, This I Believe, Colonial Williamsberg, EarthSky, and Robert Munsch. I like This I Believe, but I also like listening to it on NPR when I'm in the car driving around. It's insightful and thought provoking.
Podcasts are ok. I find them a little difficult to listen to especially when the speaker is a bit dry. I would prefer a video, otherwise known as vodcast so I can have a visual along with the audio.
I think podcasts and vodcasts would work great in the classroom setting for science and social studies. I love the idea of watching then recreating a science experiment in the classroom especially when most of my science experiments seem to flop and I don't know why. I can also use an explanation as to what is happening behind the science. For example, I know how to create volcanoes, I just don't know why putting baking soda and vinegar together create an explosion. I love the idea of letting students visit a living history museum via vodcasts. The downsize is having the available technology in the classroom to access these sites. The other is the overabundance and wealth of information. One podcast or vodcast links to other podcasts which link to more podcasts and the list is unending. I find myself getting too overwhelmed with this gigantic sea of information until I feel like I'm drowning.

No comments: